Thursday, May 7, 2009

5K

So I have decided that I am going to start "training" to be able to run/jog for a 5K. That is 3 miles if you didn't know:)! Here in Fort Worth every Thursday nights this summer they have a 5k and I have decided that I am going to be able to do the whole thing without walking! To some people this may seem like nothing but trust me, this is a HUGE thing for me. I have never been able to run for more than 5-10 consecutive minutes. Before yesterday I cannot remember the last time that I was able to at least run a mile!

So a few days ago I headed to Lukes Locker to get some new shoes. I have been told that my old tennis shoes are horrible to run in which may be why I could never run more than 5 minutes at a time:) I also walk on the insides of me feet or over pronate as they told me at Lukes so I got some shoes that have a support on the insides of my feet so that they cant roll over therefor making it easier to run!

Well yesterday my sister, Caitlin and I decided to give my new shoes a try and we went on a two mile walk/run. I think they actually helped a lot! After about a half mile my shin splints were gone and I was actually running! Now if it wasnt for my lungs gasping for air or my side searing with sharp pains I probably could have run the entire time! haha:) But the good news is that I probably ran at least a mile! I think that is pretty good for my first day! The only bad thing is, is that since I am not used to having any support on the insides of my feet I now have a lovely little blister! I think it just may take my feet a little while to get used to it!

Anyways, I convinced my sister Sarah that she should train for the 5K and run it with us! So we have picked July 23 for our race:) I will let you know how the "training" is going!

No comments:

Post a Comment